Sunday, January 29, 2012

When Trying to Save Money Goes Too Far: Cutting Your Own Hair

The bills from any trip have a tendency to grow exponentially. As you check in on credit card balances and realize you're spending like a sailor on leave you sometimes try and find creative ways to cut corners.

I'm on a 6 month voyage this time around and have typically like to keep my hair buzzed short for both the simplicity (less time, less fuss) and to save money on product and the idea that I can often do it myself with a pair of clippers.

My first round was relatively successful but when doing a quick touch up before leaving for Melbourne I had an errant guard slip off leaving me with a "landing strip" running up the back of the neck

Although I was initially horrified that I had done this to myself I had to quickly find the humour in the situation or I'd be left in bed crying for days waiting for it to grow in. This is a classic example of when trying to save money goes too far. As a general rule of thumb if your cost cutting may result in self-mutilation: it's gone too far. Other examples: at home dentistry, making your own shoes, back alley tattoos, etc.

Instead, I'd advise paying for a proper haircut and maybe cooking a few meals at home or skipping out on a drinking night. The overall value is greater than the $20 you'd drop on a haircut.

I must thank George at The Melbourne Barber Shop (394 Russell St, 9663 8548) for saving my neck (pun intended) and doing a right job of fixing me up. He was a prince, taking me in between appointments, and left me looking sharp and fit to engage in the world once again. Thanks George!


P.s. sorry the photo layout is shit, I'm having trouble using blogger with my iPad effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment